Saturday, July 5, 2008

Until the backyard harvest...

I am getting vegetables from my local CSA



















For a bargain investment of circa $300 in Conuco, an upstate New York farm run by a farmer of color, I get a box of vegetables once every two weeks through October. Being away two Saturdays ago, I missed my first box and it went to good use at a food pantry. 













Today, I managed to get down to the Magnolia Tree Earth Center."It's very green today," said CSA adminstrator Lauren Melodia as she packed my box under a mural of Hattie Carthan, a Bed-Stuy tree champion and environmentalist from back in the day (b. 1901, d.1984). 













My monochromatic box included kale, broccoli, bok choi, kohlrabi (!? must google later) and sunflower sprouts.













No comments: